Wednesday 26 September 2012

In Anticipation of Campaign 2012

Monday 24th September 2012 - I ventured out of the attic this morning to attend 2 local schools presenting assemblies - the first of the 2012 shoebox campaign.

The first one needed quite a lot of preparation as it was about International Co-operation and Understanding between countries. A couple of hours research and head scratching later one PowerPoint was produced for Year 12 of Castell Alun in the wonderfully named Hope village just outside Wrexham.

The students are doing their Welsh Baccalaureate, and, following my presentation, they were going to go ahead with ideas of their own, looking at ways to be global citizens. This links in to the work of Samaritan's Purse well and so it's all very admirable for the education of a future generation....

Before I went, I had spent some time renewing the wrapping paper on my shoeboxes. I furtled (technical term) about in the other end of my attic and found some gold starry paper. Next stage was to encourage old Mungo the teddy bear off the sofa and into the box and hope that no one notices that the sweets are far too old (I have been using the contents for demonstration purposes for some years now) to ever bring joy to a child....


Me & Mungo at Ysgol Estyn School, Hope
My second assembly was to little ones at Ysgol Estyn who were eager to tell me all about their own Christmases and seemed to be pretty pleased that they could take part this year. I remembered the lessons I learned from my early teaching days when asking an obvious question - "don't shout out..... Hands up" worked a treat!

So here's to a great campaign......

1 comment:

  1. Well done you! I wouldn't have the nerve to stand up in front of a class and present and I take my hat off to all those who do. Good luck with the rest of your campaign.

    ReplyDelete